How to prepare a First aid kit for a trek
Before you carry a first aid kit, it’s important to understand what kind of Problem might erupt while in the wilderness. Your first aid kit must be compact and sufficient to deal with the ailments in the wilderness.
It is always advisable to consult a doctor before choosing a specific medicine. Below we are mentioning some of the vital do’s and don’ts, recommended medical equipment and medicines to carry.
Things to do before leaving for a trekking or mountaineering expedition.
- Get a medical check up done. It is advisable to get a full body medical checkup done to find out if everything is alright. If there is an undetected medical issue you can always get is cured.
- Also prefer to get a pre-existing medical condition re assessed.
Improvisation and adaptation items to carry along
- Duct tape
- Safety pins
- Garbage bag and a tarp
- Swiss knife, sewing needle and threads
- Toilet paper, sanitary pads
- Head lamp
Specific medical items
- Dettol or savlon
- Bandage roll
- Cotton roll
- Band- aids
- Micropore tape
- Sterile gauze pads
- Alcohol swipes
- Antiseptic pads (Betadine)
- Adhesive elastic bandage
- Non -adhesive elastic bandages
- Light survival blanket
- Tramadol (pain killer)
- Anti diarrhoea treatment
- Intestinal antiseptic
- Indigestion aid
- Cough syrup
- Treatment for high altitude bronchitis
- Tube of vitamin C
- Eye drop
- Sun screen lotion
- Lip balm
- Anti UV lip balm
Medical equipment and medicines for Acute Mountain sickness.
- Treatment for HAPE (nifedipine)
- Treatment for HACE (dexamethasone)
- Hyperbaric chamber
- Oxygen cylinder
You must understand that first aid is more about prevention and less about curing.
It’s important to focus more on Vitals and ABCDE (airway, breathing, circulation, disability, and exposure) to access and treat the patient.
We hold the decades of exposure in Himalaya and Popular climbing destinations across the continents.
Our skills as competence professionalism as instructors, armed forces veterans, and mountaineers sets us apart from the rest.
Our teams has trained thousands of mountaineering enthusiasts. Our knowledge and experience gives us an edge as mountaineers.